A GroundControl solution is comprised of several components, each of which have specific requirements.
- The cloud admin console
- One or more Mac or Windows PCs for the “Launchpad” software
- Network setup
- Optionally an enterprise-quality USB hub
- The iOS devices to be configured
Cloud Administrator Console
Any modern web browser on Mac, Windows, etc. We test with Safari, Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer (IE 9+).
Mac or Windows PC Client (aka “Launchpad“)
Mac (minimum for testing):
- Any Mac running OS X 10.9 or later
- 20 GB free disk space
Windows (minimum for testing):
- PC Intel Core-Series (or equivalent) Processor, with at least 4GB of RAM
- Windows 7 or later (Windows 8 or 10 recommended)
- .Net 3.5 (4.5 or greater recommended)
- iTunes 11 or greater (or select DLLs extracted from iTunes). iTunes 12.5 or greater is required for iOS 10 devices.
- 20 GB free disk space (SSD strongly recommended)
- Please note certain PC USB chipsets limit the number of USB devices
For production deployments we strongly recommend SSD hard drives and a hard-wired network cable. Windows 7 is not recommended for production deployments, as it exhibits delays when attaching devices.
GroundControl uses HTTPS (port 443) for all communication between the Launchpad and the Cloud Administrator Console. After initial registration, the Launchpad switches to Secure Websockets (also port 443) for asynchronous bi-directional messaging.
At this time proxies are supported, with the following limitations:
- System proxies are not used, and proxies must be entered into the Launchpad app when registered
- Unauthenticated proxies are supported
- Authenticated proxies are not supported
- PAC files not supported
We are improving the systems to support PAC files and system proxies, both authenticated and unauthenticated.
The following hosts and ports must be accessible by the Launchpad application on the Windows PC or Mac:
USB Hubs and Carts
USB hubs vary wildly in quality. GroundControl recommends a very limited number of hubs and carts from trusted manufacturers.
- Bretford PowerSync and PowerSync+ carts and D20 hub
- Datamation U-Series Sync & Charge hubs and related carts
Poor-quality electronics will appear as intermittent errors during image restores and iOS updates, including kAMDWriteErrors.
We are working to expand this list as we work with additional manufacturers. We are happy to work with you to qualify (or disqualify!) hubs from other manufacturers.
- iPhone 4S and newer, iPad 2 and newer, iPod touch 5 and newer
- iOS 9.0 and newer is required.