GroundControl can perform either basic or advanced integration with AirWatch. With basic integration, GroundControl can enroll your devices to a common staging group, touch-free. Advanced API integration adds three additional features
- Unenrolling before deployment, to make sure AirWatch sees devices as “new,”
- Assigning devices to a user you specify, and
- Moving devices into the correct organization group post-deployment.
These instructions assume you are using AirWatch 8 or above.
Basic Integration: Obtain an enrollment configuration profile
Navigate to your organization group: Basic integration will enroll devices into this group. If you are going to use API integration to personalize an organization group, we recommend using your top-level “global” group.
Create a staging user: AirWatch requires that every device is associated with a user. You will need to create a user (not administrator) to associate devices. Create this user in your staging organization group. You only need to enter the required fields, like this:
If you are sharing devices, then this configuration is sufficient. All devices will belong to the same staging user. But if you are staging devices for later one-to-one assignment, check the “Enable Device Staging” box. With this box checked, the device may be re-assigned to a particular user later in the process.
Click “Save” (do not add a device) when done.
Download the enrollment configuration profile: The section to download the enrollment configuration profile is buried deep within Settings. Go to Groups & Settings > All Settings. Then click Devices & Users > Apple > Apple Configurator.
Ensure the correct staging organization group is selected at the top of the screen.
At the bottom of the screen, check the box “Enable Automated Enrollment.”
For shared devices, staging mode should be “None.” To stage 1-1 deployments, select “Single User.”
Click “Export” to download a configuration profile containing this enrollment information. (If you are on a Mac, your Mac will attempt to install this configuration profile. Click “Cancel” or you will enroll your Mac into AirWatch!)
Locate the downloaded configuration profile on your Mac or PC. Upload this file Admin/MDM.
Advanced API Integration
To enable advanced integration, turn on API Integration. You will need to fill in several additional fields:
Host: Enter the hostname of your AirWatch console. Do not include the “https” or trailing slash.
API User & Password:
- In your AirWatch console, visit Groups & Settings > All Settings > System > Advanced > API > REST API > Authentication. Make sure “Basic” authentication is enabled.
- Now you need to enable API access for one of your administrator accounts. Go to Accounts > Administrators > List View. You may want to create a new user for GroundControl.
- Fill in the required fields. In the “API” tab, make sure “Basic” authentication is enabled. Add a role of “Console Administrator” or above.
- If a new user was created, please make sure they log into the AirWatch console first and accept the Terms & Conditions.
- In GroundControl, enter the newly-created administrator username and password.
API Key: In your AirWatch console, visit Groups & Settings > All Settings > System > Advanced > API > REST API
Make sure “Enable API Access” is checked. Copy the “API Key” and paste into GroundControl’s “API Key” field.
Test: When you click Test, GroundControl with verify the settings.
Save: When you click Save, credentials will be saved but not verified. Be sure to click “Test” to verify credentials before saving.