Just before a deployment begins, GroundControl will use the AirWatch API to unenroll the device. This ensures that the enrollment is treated as “new” by AirWatch. There is no switch for this; GroundControl automatically enables this feature when you add valid AirWatch API credentials in Admin.
GroundControl will also allow you to do the following:
- Delete from AirWatch: This will delete the device which ensures that the enrollment is treated as “new”.
- Pre-register to Username: This provides the option of assigning a DEP device to a specific user after activation. This is helpful if you want to use a profile that doesn’t require authentication, which will require a user name and password.
- Lookup Username: You can use this feature to capture more data from a particular user in Airwatch. For example, you can “look up” username 12345 in AirWatch. If user 12345 has existing data for First Name, Last Name and Email info, we will fetch this information from AW so you can personalize the device by using User Attributes elsewhere in your workflow.
- Enrollment: This provides the option of enrolling the device(s) you’re deploying to into Airwatch.
- Set Organization Group ID: This will change the Organization Group after the DEP device is activated, and will move it from existing to another.
- Set Device Tag IDs: You may assign a comma-delimited list of AirWatch tags to the device. GroundControl accepts only tag IDs, not tag names. See below.
- Set Asset Number: Set the Asset Number field in Airwatch based on the data in GroundControl.
- Set Friendly Name: Assign the device a name of your choice. This is helpful for easier identification.
- Assign Staged Device to User: For more info on this feature, click here.
Discovering an AirWatch Tag ID
Because of limitations in AirWatch’s APIs, GroundControl requires that you enter the ID of each AirWatch device tag, not the tag name. To determine the ID of a tag, do the following.
- Log into your AirWatch console
- Click Groups & Settings > All Settings > Devices & Users > Advanced > Tags
- Hover over the tag and notice the URL of the tag — if you don’t see the URL when hovering, right-click and choose “Copy URL” or the equivalent function in your browser
- The Tag ID is the last numeric part of the URL, for example “10579” in this example: https://airwatchserverhostname/AirWatch/Settings/EditTag/10579