The Supervision Identity allows pairing with your iOS devices, even if the MDM DEP profile assigned to your devices does not allow pairing with other hosts. The option effectively secures devices while retaining management capabilities with GroundControl.
The Supervision Identity is unique to your organization in GroundControl. We export only the “public” component of the supervision; the private key is kept encrypted and is not exportable. Also, GroundControl stores its pairing information in a private database. So this operation to permit pairing to GroundControl does NOT allow other apps on the same host — such as iTunes, Configurator, etc. — to manage the device.
As always, changes to DEP profiles only can affect devices during activation. Therefore already-activated devices will need to be erased and re-activated to receive these settings. This is unfortunate, but it is a limitation of DEP.
The process below will pre-load GroundControl’s identity to your devices during DEP activation. The identity allows GroundControl to do more with your DEP devices:
- Avoid the “Trust this Computer?” prompt; instead devices pair automatically with any Launchpad app for your organization, even if your DEP profile prohibits pairing
- Set Wallpaper
- Launch Apps
- Enable App Lock
- Hide Apps
- Set Restrictions
- Restore a backup, including system settings, if you follow special instructions
- Removes the “Unpaired. Please reconnect.” status message.
Specific instructions for various MDM systems are included below.
Step 1: Export the Supervision Identity
In GroundControl’s admin console, click on Admin tab > DEP. Then click on the link to export your supervision identity.
GroundControl will save a cryptographic file in .crt format. Keep this file for the next step.
Step 2: Import the identity into your MDM
The instructions are different depending on your MDM.
Log into the AirWatch Console and ensure you are viewing the correct organization group. Visit Devices > Devices Settings > Apple > Device Enrollment Program. You should see one or more DEP Profiles.
Edit the profile which will receive the supervision identity.
Scroll down to the option for Device pairing. Decide whether you want paring enabled or not.
Click the “Add” button, and upload the supervision identity file you exported in step 1.
Save the profile and exit settings.
We recommend you re-sync with Apple to ensure Apple has the updated profile. Go to Devices > Lifecycle > Enrollment Status, then click Add > Sync Devices.
Log into Citrix Endpoint Management, and click the gear icon to show the Settings page. Open the Certificates section of Settings. Click the Import button.
Set the settings as above, with “Import” set to “Certificate” and “Use as” set to “Server”. Click the first “Browse” button to upload the GroundControl supervision identity you exported above. Leave the Private key file blank. If desired, add a description to this certificate. Click “Import” to finish the upload.
Next you must add the supervision identity to change your DEP profile.
Click the gear icon to show the Settings page again. Open the section titled “Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP)”.
At the bottom of this page will be one or more DEP profiles you have defined. Check the checkbox and click Edit.
Now, navigate to “3 Settings > iOS”.
At the bottom of the page is a section to add supervision identities.
Click the Add button.
Select the supervision identity you added to Certificates. Click Add.
Now complete the setup and save the DEP profile.
The supervision identify for Jamf Pro cannot be exported via GroundControl. Please contact Imprivata Support to obtain it.
1. Once you’ve obtained the supervision identity, login into the Jamf Pro console and navigate to gear icon on upper right hand corner to access All Settings.
2. Select Device Management > Apple Configurator Enrollment.
3. Under Supervision Identities, click Edit , then Upload. Upload the .p12 file provided by Imprivata support.
4. Once file is uploaded, enter password provided by Imprivata support and click Done, then Save.
5. From within Settings, go to Global Management > Automated Device Enrollments and select your device enrollment instance. Click on it to Edit.
6. Select the Supervision Indentity and click Save.
7. Select the Supervision Identity and click Save.
8. If have more than one instance or site, Navigate to PreStage enrollments and ensure the PreStage enrollment with the applicable instance/site is assigned to the devices that will be used with GroundControl.
- In the MaaS360 console, navigate to Devices > Enrollments > Apple Device Enrollment Program (DEP)
- Select Certificates> Add Certificate. From that window, enter a name for the certificate, and upload the .crt file from the previous step and click Add.
3. Navigate back to the list of the DEP profiles. Edit the DEP profile that your GroundControl devices will use.
MaaS360 only allows a supervision identity when pairing is disabled. (This is not an Apple requirement, but based on a misunderstanding of this feature.) Uncheck “Allow Pairing”.
Now you may select one or more certificates from the list.
- In InTune, navigate to Device enrollment > Apple Enrollment > Enrollment Program Tokens > Token.
- Select your DEP profile, and click Properties > Configure Settings > Sync with computer > select Allow Apple Configurator by Certificate > Upload Certificates.
- Upload your DEP supervisions identity from GroundControl. Important: You may need to rename the identity file’s extension from .CRT to .CER.
In the MobileIron Core admin console, click on Devices & Users > Apple DEP to list your DEP connections (most organizations will have only one). Now list the enrollment profiles by clicking on the number under the column “Enrollment Profiles.”
Edit the desired enrollment profile. At the bottom of the dialog is a section on Pairing Certificates.
Upload the .p12 supervision identity you downloaded in Step 1. Then save the profile.
We recommend you re-sync with Apple to ensure Apple has the updated profile. Go to Devices & Users > Apple DEP, then click on “Check for Updates.”
In the MobileIron Cloud console, go to Admin > Device Enrollment Program. This lists the DEP connections (most organization have only one). Click Actions > Edit DEP Profile. Scroll down to the “Certificates” section.
Add the .p12 supervision identity you downloaded in Step 1. You may give the identity any name you wish.
Save the profile.
Step 3: Test pairing
Pairing records are remembered by the host, and survive device erases. So testing can easily be contaminated by old data. Follow these steps to make sure you are testing correctly.
Test A (single Launchpad):
- Erase a DEP device and configure it by hand, without using GroundControl. This ensures GroundControl does not grab the pairing record from the erased device.
- On your Launchpad choose “Reset Launchpad” from the File menu (Windows) or Launchpad menu (Mac). This will remove any saved pairing records from that Launchpad. Register the Launchpad when prompted.
- Now plug in the device to the host. After a few moments, you should see the device show up as “DEP, Limited operations available.” You should NOT see the trust prompt on the device. This means that GroundControl has successfully paired with the device, without additional prompts.
Test B (multiple Launchpads):
- Begin by resetting the Launchpads on at least two computers. Then register both Launchpads and have the software running.
- On computer 1, deploy a DEP-enabled GroundControl workflow to one device. Make sure the device is past all setup screens for the next step.
- Plug in the configured device into the second computer. After a few moments, you should see the device show up as “DEP, Limited operations available.” You should NOT see the trust prompt on the device. This means that GroundControl has successfully paired with the device, without additional prompts
These steps are not required for non-DEP (“Manage with GroundControl”) deployments.