We support USB-connected proximity card readers manufactured by RFIDeas, which is the most common reader on the market. Many brands resell the RFIDeas reader, including Imprivata and KSI Keyboards.
For testing, one of the readers you already have may “just work.” If you need a new one, we recommend their universal reader, RDR-80582AKU, which is available from Amazon.
To enable GroundControl support for proximity badge readers, navigate to Admin > Checkout. For the Authentication method, select “Proximity Cards.”
Assuming you are still using the GroundControl User Service you previously set up, there’s an easy way to read the ID from the card.
- Start your Launchpad app, with the Proximity Card Reader connected via USB.
- Scan a sample Employee badge. You will hear several beeps. (If you do not hear any beeps, you may need to configure the reader to scan a different frequency.)
- Open the Users directory from the GroundControl admin console.
- The lower section of the User Directory will show “Unknown PINs” — the first one should be not a PIN but the hexadecimal ID scanned from the badge.
- Copy the ID, and click “Add User”. Add a new user with this hexadecimal value as the “PIN”. (It’s OK to repeat usernames in this directory.)
Once you add this ID to the user database, you should be able to scan the badge again to initial a checkout. Go nuts!
Understanding the Beeps
GroundControl uses beeps to communicate status.
|1 Beep||Good Scan|
then 2 Beeps
|User Error: ID not found in the User Table|
then 3 Beeps
|Device Error: No iPhones available or automation error|
then 4 Beeps
|Already Has Device: Admin > Checkout has the option enabled”Limit one device per user,” and the username is already associated with a device.|