Apple’s new iOS 15 is expected soon. Our team has been testing betas early and often to ensure compatibility with GroundControl.
Here’s what we’ve found so far with iOS 15 beta 7. This may still change as new beta releases are available.
Preparing for iOS 15
- Launchpad: We have tested iOS 15 with GroundControl Launchpad version 5.0 and later and have not yet found any changes that would require a Launchpad update. We have not tested with earlier versions of Launchpad, we encourage you to test your existing workflows with iOS 15!
- Server: GroundControl Server 5.1, expected in September, will include options to hide the new Magnifier app and set it up in the Icon arrangement action. We have found no issues with GroundControl Server and iOS 15
- MobileDevice: As of today, iOS 15 requires 1253.100.1, same as iOS 14.5. If you’ve already deployed this version your environment, no additional changes should be required, but Apple may change MobileDevice requirements at a later time. Please check http://groundctl.com/mobiledevice for more information
- DEP: No additional set up screens have been added so far, so existing DEP profiles used in MDM should allow the device to reach the Home Screen automatically. Please note a default Set Language and Locale action in the GroundControl workflow is required to skip the language set up on the device.
- We have seen intermittent failures when applying profiles with Apple Configurator and GroundControl, a retry generally fixes the issue. Workflows in GroundControl may fail with “Service Protocol failure” when this issue occurs. We have reported this issue to Apple. Update: this issue appears to have been resolve with Beta 7